Construction on Center for fine arts gets under way
Boise State University has begun construction on the new Center for Fine Arts, a $42 million project on the west end of campus along Capitol Boulevard.A groundbreaking ceremony was held May 2 and construction fencing was placed May 15 to begin the two-year project.
EMPLOYEE SPOTLIGHT: GABE BISHOP
After a regional search, Gabe Bishop recently joined the Campus Operations’ team as the manager of the Landscape Services Department. Prior to Boise State, Bishop was the Landscape Manager at Lewis and Clark College in Portland, a campus which US News and World Report identified as the most beautiful campus.
Gabe has a BS from Cal Poly in Environmental Horticulture and a Masters Certificate from the University of California in Sustainability.
CONGRATS, CAMPUS OPS GRADS!
The May 2017 Spring Commencement marked Boise State’s 100th commencement ceremony, as well as the first on The Blue. Congratulations to the Campus Operations employees who graduated!
- Lisa Barry (Environmental Studies)
- Aaron Bartz (Materials Science and Engineering)
- Alex Belisle (Masters in Political Science)
- Trace Blackstone (Environmental Studies)
- Crystal Blanchard (Communication)
- Eric Christiansen (Mechanical Engineering)
- Nicolas Cota (Civil Engineering)
- Chase Duckworth (Communication)
- Steven Fowler (HVAC Journeyman)
- Susan Fullmer (Associate of Science)
- Cory Gervais (History Secondary Education)
- Lindsay Harwood (BBA General Business)
- Sarah Hastings (Sociology)
- Connor Jungkuntz (Construction Management)
- Nathaniel King (Psychology)
- Abby La Chance-Cunningham (BBA Accountancy)
- Jesse Lang
- Andrew Mason (Graphic Design)
- Amanda McClain
- Taylor Red Elk
- Jesse Rupe (Computer Science)
- Prabesh Subedi (Electrical Engineering)
- Christopher Sutherlin (Multidisciplinary Studies)
- Alexandra Taylor (Elementary Education)
- Whitney Thorton (Elementary Education)
- Gabrielle Winston (Communication)
- Tristan Youngstrom (Health Science)
ANNUAL DIVISION-WIDE MEETING SET FOR AUGUST 2
Please mark your calendars for the annual Boise State Campus Operations’ division-wide meeting. Meeting times have been set for 10:30 a.m. and 10:30 p.m., Wednesday, August 2, 2017, to accommodate employees working during the day, night and swing shifts.
Both sessions will be approximately one-hour long and held in the Student Union Special Events Center (SPEC).
Annual Division Survey
In the interest of continual improvement in positive workplace environment and communication, please complete the short, five-minute Campus Operations Employee Survey by Friday, June 16. All data gathered will be anonymous and will be used to improve our employee and student experience.
Two respondents will be selected to receive a $25 Bronco Shop gift card.
Bronco Shop Semi-Annual Sale, June 5-23
It’s time for the Bronco Shop’s Semi-Annual sale! Visit the Bronco Shop, June 5-23, and receive great deals on close-out products. This is a three-week progressive discount sale – meaning that as the sale goes on, the prices get lower. Save an additional 25-75 percent off. This sale is available at all Bronco Shop locations, in-stores only, while supplies last. Visit www.broncoshop.com for store locations and hours.
Register for Crucial Conversations
Boise State University’s Campus Operations division offers the Crucial Conversations training program, which provides employees with the tools to manage difficult and important conversations, communicate thoughts and achieve positive results. The two-day program developed by VitalSmarts and is facilitated by certified Crucial Conversations instructor Ms. Tana Monroe, Director of Department of Public Safety.
SIGN UP FOR COFFEE WITH KEVIN
A monthly opportunity is available for division members to meet and converse with Kevin Satterlee, Chief Operating Officer. The first Friday each month, he will host 15-minute visits with individuals or teams of up to five people.
NOMINATE DIVISION EMPLOYEES OF THE YEAR
Boise State’s Campus Operations Division Employee of the Year awards will be given out each year at the divisional meeting. Nominations are open year-round for the three awards aligned with our division goals: 1) Empathy for the Customer, 2) Attention to Detail, and 3) Imputed Quality.
This month’s nominees were:
Empathy for the Customer: Kathleen Anderson, Larry Stolworthy, Kristina Whitaker
Imputed Quality: Tyler Zachariasen
OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY NEWSLETTER
Each month the Environmental Health, Safety and Sustainability team puts together an “Occupational Safety Newsletter” for the campus to read.
CAMPUS OPERATIONS VIDEO BLOG
Chase Duckworth, a Communications – Media Productions graduate, completed his final semester with the Campus Operations team as a video blogger. See some of his final videos which tell the Campus Operations’ story from the perspective of a student to the students:
- Campus Operations Documentary
- Arbor Day 2017 Celebration
- Center for Fine Arts Groundbreaking
- Employee Spotlight: Gabe Bishop
- Boise River Cafe Food Pulper
PROMOTION AND JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Looking for opportunities or do you know someone we could add to our team? The following are open positions within the Campus Operations division:
- Custodian Leadworker (Facilities Operations and Maintenance)
- Event Worker 1, Temporary (Public Safety)
- Landscape Technician, Temporary (Facilities Operations and Maintenance)
- Painter, Temporary (Facilities Operations and Maintenance)
- Senior Security Officer, Temporary (Public Safety)
- Shuttle Bus Driver, Temporary (Public Safety)
IMPORTANT DATES and Events TO REMEMBER
The following are important dates and events to remember for the upcoming months:
- June 16 – Division Survey Due Date
- June 30 – Final Employee of the Year Nominations Due
- June 30 – End of fiscal year
- August 2 – Campus Operations Division-Wide Meeting, 10:30 a.m. and 10:30 p.m.
MONTHLY TRAINING, Workshop, Speaker Opportunities
Boise State’s Campus Operations Division is continually offering training opportunities to provide continued education, required training, and development for its employees. The following are training sessions offered in the upcoming month:
- June 5 – ONE Boise State
- June 7 – Trello! Personal Productivity and Project Management (6/7)
- June 19 – ONE Boise State
- June 28-29 – Crucial Conversations (6/28-29)
- July 10 – ONE Boise State
- July 31 – ONE Boise State